jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012

To Kill a Mockingbird: Anything But Usual

Later that winter Ms. Radley died; however it was barely a calamity as no one in town seemed to be affected in anyways. When Atticus came back from the Radley house Jem encourages me to ask about Mr. Arthur. I was meticulous to ask and right to do so knowing that interrogating Atticus wouldn’t get me anywhere but in trouble. But Jem pushed me and I said before, it got us nowhere.
            Bizarrely, the usual, sweltering weather in Maycomb County was absent and instead we received what I thought to be the end of the worldSnow. It worked in my favor though, getting us successfully out of school for the entire day ahead. With no school to shackle us to a day of boredom Jem took this time to make nothing more than a snowman.
            With the cold providing an imminent death for Miss Maudies plants, there was no dissension when Jem retrieved all of the remaining snow from her yard. But refusing to tell me or Miss Maudie what his exact intention was for the snow, it was only obvious he was conspiring to make more than just a common snowman.
As time elapsed and Jem’s creation was completed, I began to apprehend that he had made nothing more than an explicit snowman along the lines of Mr. Avery’s image. Atticus, however, asked Jem to make the similarities somewhat discrete, which only led to Jem taking Miss Maudies hat, and when putting it on the snowman, creating our very own Morphodite for our backyard.
Later that day the temperature dropped and with that I fell asleep, but in what seemed to be only minutes late I was woken up by Atticus’ voice. We ran out, assimilating into the crowd surrounding Miss Maudies house which was in flames. Atticus  ordered us to over to the Radley’s house, away from the anarchy that had seemed to commence as the town crowded, everyone trying to catch a glimpse.
I, unlike the others, couldn’t watch; Miss Maudie was the only woman I could lionize, with other women, Miss Stephanie Crawford setting the example, there wasn’t many other options anyways. She was the only one I truly respected and the thought of her house in flames terrified me.
At dawn, after they assured the fire was out and Miss Maudie was okay we headed back home where Atticus pointed out the quilts over our shoulders. Although he was not mad, Jem acted as if he was being arraigned, as if being sentenced guilty for leaving the Radley place. He had gone mad defending himself, stating he had done nothing but follow Atticus’ instructions. Later on though, we came to the conclusion that there was only one person who was at the fire, only one person could have supplies is with the quilts—Boo Radley.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario