martes, 1 de mayo de 2012

Where I'm From


I am from slides and swings
From D’onofrio and Inca Kola
I am from the cross over every bed
Damaged, worn, carved, crafted from wood
And dipped in holy water.

I am from bugambilias
White, purple or pink
But always carry thorns
The ones I did not know of
Until I picked at one.

I am from homemade
Guanabana ice-cream on sweltering days
from short, small stature
Alicia and Regina
and the Merino family tree
I am from fast thinkers,
Jokesters and the prank players.

I am from you choose your own path and enjoy it while it last
From tracing the sacred symbol across my face and chest
Prayers I was told to keep in my heart
But I have lost
Lost and barely keep in my mind.

From Aji and rice
(No matter on what)
From the hearts my uncle used to break
And the kisses he would steal
The joy in my grandmother’s blind
But still, deep green eyes.

I am from the bronze frames on the wooden cabinet
Albums leaking abundance of memories,
And stolen photographs to greedily keep
Under the pillow,
Under the bed,
To salve the distance
Remember the lost faces
Cut, picked from the tree.

I am from Lima, Peru
But my heart,
It belongs to other places too,
I am from where I wish to be
the place that’s absence
Causes my melancholy.

I am from everywhere I have lived
every country I was ever referring to

when I whined, whimpered, whispered,
I want to go home.

And although at moments I feel
I am not there now
I know where I come from
From hugs and kisses and
Te amaré por siempre
I am from the arms of my family
That wrap around me
Like the sun does the day


It always comes back to
where my heart
Wishes to be.
I know in those short moments
those magnificent moments of remembrance
I can‘t help but smile
But get that warm feeling in my heart
that I know
Where
I am from.


5 comentarios:

  1. You have done a beautiful job. Your poem speaks of childhood done well.
    I especially love this stanza:
    I am from the bronze frames on the wooden cabinet
    Albums leaking abundance of memories,
    And stolen photographs to greedily keep
    Under the pillow,
    Under the bed,
    To salve the distance
    Remember the lost faces
    Cut, picked from the tree

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I don't think it's beautiful but super duper wonderful. I didn't know that Mrs. Meadows was reading this in my class. I thought it was from a real poet!! The start really catches the eyes of people like me (@-@). Great jobb!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Alex, this poem is truly amazing. Everything is incredible; the imagery, the descriptions, how you manage to capture the spirit of your life in a single poem. I really like how you tie in that you are truly from wherever your family is.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Your poem is a..ma..zing.. no kidding. You put in a personal touch to the template which made this poem your own. Every stanza has a lot of meaning and every single one is there for a reason. Great great (x ∞)job

    ResponderEliminar
  5. This poem is awesome! The words flow great together and just sound so nice :) your use of poetic devices is great :) :) :)

    ResponderEliminar